“A performer of near-superhuman technical prowess” (The New York Times), pianist Marc-André Hamelin is known worldwide for his unrivaled blend of consummate musicianship and brilliant technique in the great works of the established repertoire, as well as for his intrepid exploration of the rarities of the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries. He regularly performs around the globe with the leading orchestras and conductors of our time, and gives recitals at major concert venues and festivals worldwide.
Highlights of Mr. Hamelin’s 2022–2023 season include a vast variety of repertoire performed with the Orchestra of St. Luke’s at Carnegie Hall (Piano Quintets by Florence Price and Brahms), Berlin Philharmonic and Marek Janowski (Reger’s Piano Concerto), San Diego Symphony and Rafael Payare (Liszt’s Piano Concerto No. 2), Toronto Symphony Orchestra and Gustavo Gimeno (Messiaen’s Turangalîla-Symphonie), Netherlands Philharmonic and Joshua Weilerstein (Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue), and Symphony Nova Scotia and Holly Mathieson (Grieg’s Piano Concerto). Recital appearances take Mr. Hamelin to Vienna, Chicago, Toronto, Montréal, Napa Valley, São Paulo, and Bogotá, among other venues across the world.
The summer of 2022 included performances at many festivals including Caramoor with the Orchestra of St. Luke’s, Tanglewood, Domaine Forget, La Jolla, Schubertiade, and Festival International Piano.
Mr. Hamelin is an exclusive recording artist for Hyperion Records, where his discography spans more than 70 albums, with notable recordings of a broad range of solo, orchestral, and chamber repertoire. In January 2022, the label released a two-disc set of C. P. E. Bach’s sonatas and rondos that received wide critical acclaim and in June 2022, Hyperion released the two-disc set of William Bolcom’s The Complete Rags.
Mr. Hamelin has composed music throughout his career, with over 30 compositions to his name. The majority of those works—including the Etudes and Toccata on L’homme armé,
commissioned by the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition—are published by Edition Peters. His most recent work, his Piano Quintet, was premiered in August 2022 by himself and the celebrated Dover Quartet at La Jolla Music Society.
Mr. Hamelin makes his home in the Boston area with his wife, Cathy Fuller, a producer and host at Classical WCRB. Born in Montreal, he is the recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from the German Record Critics’ Association, and has received seven Juno Awards and 11 Grammy nominations, and the 2018 Jean Gimbel Lane Prize in Piano Performance from Northwestern University’s Bienen School of Music. In December 2020, he was awarded the Paul de Hueck and Norman Walford Career Achievement Award for Keyboard Artistry from the Ontario Arts Foundation. Mr. Hamelin is an Officer of the Order of Canada, a Chevalier de l’Ordre national du Québec, and a member of the Royal Society of Canada.
“Hamelin’s legend will grow - right now there is no one like him.”
“Marc-André Hamelin ranks among the small handful of performers in every generation whose abilities defy the imagination.”
“Artists and organizations hoping to revitalize classical music should look to Mr. Hamelin.”
“One of the most adventurous and certainly the most courageous pianists of recent times.”
"Hamelin is a pianist’s pianist whose performances are always worth hearing."
- CPR Classical hosts Marc André Hamelin in the CPR Performance Studio on March 15, 2018. Marc-André Hamelin: Toccata on "L'Homme armé" Marc-André Hamelin, piano https://www.cpr.org/classical/performance-studio
- Johannes Brahms' Piano Concerto No. 2, Op. 83 with Jacek Kaspszyk and the Filharmonia Narodowa
- Cliburn2017 Web series - Episode #3: The Composer Follow the competition thanks to our web series: exclusive interviews, backstage, rehearsals... The Cliburn as if you were there!
- Marc-André Hamelin filmed exclusively for A Fly On The Wall. The piece is "Allegro di molto" from Haydn's Sonata Ho.XVI:41. Filmed during recording sessions.
- Hamelin performs his Etude No. 7 “After Tchaikovsky” and speaks with Radio Canada about “le concert idéal”: his ideal concert.
- Marc-André Hamelin dropped by the studio to give us a preview of his Pavane Variée just ahead of its New York premiere at Carnegie Hall. Video: Kim Nowacki Audio Engineer: Irene Trudel Producer: Alex Ambrose and Hannis Brown © WQXR | Q2 Music 2016
- Marc-André Hamelin 2019/20 Season Recital Program
- Pre-order Marc-André Hamelin’s Schubert Disc (Available April 27)
- Marc-André Hamelin’s Newest Recording with Leif Ove Andsnes
- Marc-André Hamelin at the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition
- Marc-André Hamelin with orchestra and in solo and duo concerts