Zuill Bailey, widely considered one of the premiere cellists in the world, is a Grammy Award winning, internationally renowned soloist, recitalist, Artistic Director and teacher. His rare combination of celebrated artistry, technical wizardry and engaging personality has made him one of the most sought after and active cellists today.
Mr. Bailey has been featured with symphony orchestras and music festivals worldwide. He won the Best Solo Performance Grammy Award in 2017, for his recording of Michael Daugherty’s “Tales of Hemingway,” with the Nashville Symphony led by Giancarlo Guerrero. His extensive discography includes his newest release – his second recording of the Bach Cello Suites for PS Audio’s Octave Records label, recorded and mixed in stereo and multichannel sound.
He appeared in a recurring role on the HBO series “Oz,” and has been heard on NPR’s “Morning Edition,” “Tiny Desk Concert,” “Performance Today,” “Saint Paul Sunday,” BBC’s “In Tune,” XM Radio’s “Live from Studio II,” Sirius Satellite Radio’s “Virtuoso Voices,” and his latest disc of Bach Suites was the disc of the week on Sirius’ Symphony Hall.
Mr. Bailey received his Bachelor’s Degree from the Peabody Conservatory where he was named the 2014 Johns Hopkins University Distinguished Alumni, and received a Master’s Degree from the Juilliard School. He performs on the “rosette” 1693 Matteo Gofriller Cello formerly owned by Mischa Schneider of the Budapest String Quartet.
He is the Artistic Director of El Paso Pro-Musica (Texas), the Sitka Summer Music Festival/Series and Cello Seminar, (Alaska), Juneau Jazz and Classics, (Alaska), the Northwest Bach Festival (Washington), Classical Inside Out Series- Mesa Arts Center (Arizona) and is Director of the Center for Arts Entrepreneurship and Professor of Cello at the University of Texas at El Paso.
“Bailey is one of the most exciting cellists to come along in years.”
“Bailey produced a tone as rich as melted chocolate.”
- J.S. Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007, and Gluck's Dance of the Blessed Spirits for solo cello
- The Business of Music | Zuill Bailey | TEDxUTEP
- Finding time in between teaching cello at the University of Texas, El Paso, programming the Sitka Summer Music and Northwest Bach festivals, El Paso Pro Musica, the Mesa Arts Center Series, and recording with the Cypress Quartet at George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch, Zuill Bailey stopped by the Strings studio to perform three movements of Bach's Cello Suite No. 2.
- "I attracted what I was looking for. I exuded what I wanted to happen." Zuill Bailey is a soloist, chamber musician, recording artist, professor, artistic director, and sometime actor (as seen on the HBO series Oz and NBC's Homicide).
- www.bachcellosuitesworkshop.org - Which opens its doors wide to adult amateur cellists seeking to deepen their understanding, appreciation and technical mastery of Bach's wondrous gift to the cello. Faculty: Zuill Bailey - Artistic Director Pheobe Carrai Melissa Kraut
- CPR Classical hosts cellist Zuill Bailey, accompanied by Michael Butterman on piano, in a performance of "Kol Nidrei" by Max Bruch. Recorded on April 23, 2015 in the CPR Performance Studio. Audio: Martin Skavish Video: Irvin Coffee http://cprclassical.org
- New American Works: Zuill Bailey
- Zuill Bailey Celebrates His Prokofiev CD Release and Looks Forward to Orchestral and Recital Engagements
- Zuill Bailey wins 2017 “Best Classical Instrumental Solo” GRAMMY Award for Tales of Hemingway!
- Zuill Bailey Launched the Northwest Bach Festival this week
- Zuill Bailey: Haydn in London and Peru